My New Passion

 It has been a while since I posted here. However, my fiber obsession didn't fade, but blossomed with a new passion.

This summer my husband bought me a loom as a birthday gift. It's Ashford Rigid Heddle 32" loom. I wanted to try weaving for a long time and now I can't stop. Well, when I have free time, which is rare these days, because I am a mom of a 7 months old baby boy. So far I managed to complete weaving two projects.

The first one is an alpaca baby blanket. For my very first weave I chose pure alpaca sport weight yarn from Henry's Attic and the default 7.5 heddle. As a result, the fabric turned out quite loosely woven. Hopefully, it will tighten up after washing.


I do know that I supposed to use DK yarn weight, but my stash is emmm... pretty big and lacks DK. I have mostly lace and fingering yarn.



I like very much the yarn itself. Henry's Attic Prime Alpaca is so soft. But oh, it sheds so badly during the weave! It is messy and it slightly felts when on the loom. And that's why it's not easy to unravel. But the fabric is very soft and has a lovely halo.



I have to admit that I made quite few mistakes. It is expected I suppose, as it was my very first experience with weaving in general. 

First of all, I warped the loom on the wrong side, then warped the heddle through the wrong side. That's not a big deal because I managed to notice those things before completing the warping process.


My edges were not nearly perfect:


Then, I made sloppy joins of yarn:

Overall I'm pleased with the blanket and the experience with the weaving on the Ashford Rigid Heddle loom. I found it is easier and faster to weave fabric than knit it.

And I have to express my deep respect and gratitude to the Kelly Casanova's YouTube instructional videos, that were and are so helpful and inspiring. 

See this project on my Ravelry.

Someone asked me for feedback regarding this loom. It is 32" wide figid heddle Ashford loom, which could me too big and uncomfortable to work with for some people. Here is what my reply was: 

"Having only limited experience with this RH 32" and none with any other looms, I don't think I can give you an objective answer. Here is what I think however. Weaving full width on this loom I found necessary to have a wide free range around you for amplitude of your working arms with the shuttle provided with the loom (32"). It didn't bother me, though. But while weaving you kind of have to rock side to side, which might have toll on your back. But you don't have to weave full length all the time. I worked a narrower project and it was a breeze - fast and easy. A smaller shuttle is also provided in the package. Bottom line - considering my current experience with the loom, I would buy the same width again. I think it's perfect and quite versatile."     

Comments

Popular Posts