Baby Stroller Blanket

When you're spinning your first yarn, your expectations are usually very low, so were mine. I thought, there is probably nothing that I could make from this yarn, no matter how hard I'll try. It was very inconsistent - underspun and overspun, thick and thin, dense and loose. But then my spinning improved very slightly, and I started to dream about weaving a warm and cozy blanket for my precious son Evander, who is now 8 months old.


I want to admit, without plying this yarn wouldn't work for the project. And I'll mention again, I learned to ply from this splendid Craftsy class Ply to Knit: Spin the Yarn You Really Want with Jillian Moreno. It helped me to ply my first singles into workable and reliable weft yarn. Thank you Jilian!

For the warp I used Wool of the Andes Worsted by Knit Picks, which worked pretty well with my 7.5 heddle. It was slightly sticky, but not too bad. It didn't shred and break throughout the weave.


I hemstitched the beginning of the blanket and the end of it without taking it off of the loom. Maybe I should make a little video how I prefer to do the hemstitching. And then, I had to wait for a while for my fringe twister to arrive from an Etsy seller. The twister arrived and I started working on the fringe, which was quite tough, because the clamps of the twister were quite stiff. It was hard to open them. So, at the end I had sore fingers. But the result was enormously satisfying. Evander is enjoying it too.


Details on my first yarn are in the article My Spinning Story.

See this blanket on Ravelry.

Comments

Popular Posts