The shawl has a crescent shape and worked from top (nape) to bottom (hem). Main body is made in stockinette stitch, lace hem has a wonderful flower motif of traditional Estonian style.
Skill Level: Intermediate.
Skills needed: k2tog, ssk, s2kpsso, k3tog, sssk, 3into7.
Measurements after blocking: 52.75" (134 cm) wide along the top edge, 13" (33 cm) from bottom center point to top edge. Size may vary according to individual knitting tension.
Gauge after blocking in St st:
21 sts x 33 rows = 4" (10 cm).
MaterialsMadelinetosh Tosh Merino Light (420 yards (384 meters), 100% merino), color name "Logwood", 1 skein fingering weight yarn (CYCA 1: Superfine).
US 4 / 3.5 mm 29" circular needle or 14" straight needles.
US 6 / 4 mm needle for bind off.
Size E/4 (3.5 mm) crochet hook.
Waste yarn in contrasting color for provisional co.
Basic skills necessary:
k2tog - knit 2 stitches together as one. 1 stitch reduced to the right;
ssk - slip a stitch knitwise, slip another knitwise, transfer to left hand needle and knit together through the back. 1 stitch reduced to the left;
s2kpsso - slip next 2 stitches together as to knit, knit 1, pass 2 slipped stitches over. Centered, 2 stitches reduced;
k3tog - knit 3 stitches together. 2 stitches reduced to the right;
sssk - slip a stitch knitwise, slip another knitwise, and slip 1 more stitch knitwise, transfer 3 slipped stitches to your left hand needle and knit them together through the back. 2 stitches reduced to the left;
3into7 - make 7 stitches from 3:[knit 3 stitches together leaving them on the left needle, yarn over] repeat 3 times from the same 3 stitches, knit same 3 stitches together once again. On the next row, purl all 7 stitches separately.
Notes- All rows in the charts read and work from right to left.
- All charts show only odd (RS) rows.
- WS rows (except for row 1 and 8 in Beginning) work as follows: es, k1, p all until 2 rem, k2.
- All sts of even rows are p except for selvage sts.
- Selvage stitches: Very first st of first row in provisional co and first st of row 8 should be k. The first stitch of each following row should be LOOSELY slipped to the right-hand needle as to purl. Next st and last two sts always k (k on RS and k on WS). Selvage sts on RS are shown in the charts and worked in garter st for top edge border.
- Flower Chart RS row starts with es, k1 (selvage st). Then work the sts to the right of the outlined pattern repeat. Work the sts in the outlined pattern and repeat them until just enough sts remain to finish the row by knitting the sts shown to the left of the outlined pattern repeat. Finish all rows by k2 sts (selvage sts).
- The shawl increases 6 sts every other row until Row 11 of Flower Chart.
- The shawl can be made larger or smaller by working it with lace, sport, or worsted-weight yarn on larger or smaller needles.
- When written pattern says to "rep n times", n indicates total number of times bracketed sts should be worked. Ex.: "[yo, k1] rep 2 times" = "yo, k1, yo, k1".